Hoberg’s Resort, Lake County

Hoberg’s Main Lodge as it looked in1910
Hoberg’s Main Lodge as it looked in 2015

The Hoberg’s Resort historic site contained structures, features and artifacts spanning at least 100 years of use.  The resort was built, owned, and operated by four generations of the Hoberg family.  In its early days, it catered to the newly immigrant German population of San Francisco.  By the 1950’s, it was reported to be the largest privately owned resort in Northern California (Oscar Hoberg 1950).  As one of the longest continuously running resorts, the structures and materials making up this historic resource contained information about the boom and eventual decline of Lake County’s resort industry.

At the time of our original study (2015), many of the original resort structures had been altered over the years and many had fallen into disrepair. 

Use drop-down menu under the Hoberg’s Resort heading to learn more about the project

During our original study, we inspected, photographed and explored all structures and features on the property. This included attics, basements, crawl spaces, tunnels, rock walls, ruins, and trash deposits.

Hoberg’s Resort Timeline

1848  Matilda Slotzenwall born in Schleswig-Holstein Germany (Carpenter et.al. 1914:595).

1845  Gustav Hoberg born in Westphalia Germany (Carpenter et.al. 1914:595, Oscar Hoberg 1950:2).

1860  Gustav Hoberg moves to U.S. (Carpenter et.al. 1914:595, Oscar Hoberg 1950:2)

1871  Gustav and Matilda marry in Chicago then move to Wisconsin (Carpenter et.al. 1914:595)(or meet and marry in Wisconsin (Oscar Hoberg 1950:2).

1873  Max Hoberg is born in Wisconsin followed by siblings Paul, Helen and Oscar.

1885  Gustav Hoberg and family settle on 160 acres owned by Matilda’s brother-in-law George Krammerer.  Gustav buys 80 acres (where the resort now sits) for $200 from Mr. Goatze (Mauldin n.d.:2545, Carpenter et.al. 1914:595).

1893-94 Gustav and son Max build a road from the Hoberg ranch to Cobb (taken over by county in 1918)(Mauldin n.d.:2757).

1894  Travelers along the new road stop to rest their horses at the Hoberg House and are treated to Matilda’s fine cooking.  Soon it becomes a regular stop along the road.  First paying clients stay at Hoberg’s (Mauldin n.d.:8171).

1895  Gustav Hoberg dies and Matilda and the sons open their home to hunters and campers to supplement their income.  Several rooms are built (most likely the “Barn”).  The cost per person was $7/week for room and board (Oscar Hoberg 1950:8).

1895  George Krammerer sends friends from San Francisco to the Hoberg’s to vacation.  Up until WWI, most vacationers were German immigrants (Mauldin n.d.:2545).

1902  Max and Matilda buy out George Krammerer’s 320 acres (Carpenter et.al. 1914:596).

1902  Max marries Teresa Bleus (Carpenter et.al. 1914:596).

1914  Telephone communication ties Hoberg’s to the outside world. At this time the resort has 6 houses that can accommodate 100 guests, an 80-seat dining hall, social hall, concrete pool, bowling alley, tents on platforms, apple orchard, cattle, gardens, 200 chickens, and 25 acres of grain and hay (Mauldin n.d.:8171, Carpenter et.al. 1914:597).

1917  Matilda retires at the age of 79 (Oscar Hoberg 1950:10, Mauldin n.d.:8171).

1920’s Luther Burbank spends several vacations in the “Spring” cabin (Donna Hoberg 2007:96).

1927-28 George and Paul Hoberg residences built (add-ons made through the 1940’s) (Hoberg 2015).

1928  Max turned over Hoberg’s operation to his three sons (George, Paul, and Frank) (Mauldin n.d.:8171).

1929  Hoberg Post Office opens and stays in business till 1962 when mail is transferred to Cobb (Mauldin n.d.:7956).

1930’s Large tiled pool, large dining hall, and general store built (Donna Hoberg 2007:104, Hoberg-Fox 2015).

1932  Frank Hoberg’s house built east of Highway (Hoberg-Fox 2015).

1934  The Hoberg sons, Captain Olson and his son Ernie buy Seigler Springs Resort (Oscar Hoberg 1950:11, Mauldin n.d.:6855).

1936  Fire burns 80 cottages and half of the Pine Grove (Mauldin n.d.:8172, Hoberg-Fox 2015).

1940  Heavyweight boxing champ Max Baer vacations at Hoberg’s (Donna Hoberg 2007:102).

1943-44 Hoberg Brothers buy most of Seigler Valley (Mauldin n.d.:2762).

1945-46 Spanish Row cabins built (Hoberg-Fox 2015).

1946  A runway is built in Seigler Valley (Hoberg’s Airport).  Western Airlines flew in and out and the Hoberg brothers owned 4 small passenger planes (Mauldin n.d.:2762, Donna Hoberg 2007:99, Oscar Hoberg 1950:14).

1947  Hoberg’s has 65 cabins, and adds a gift shop, coffee shop, and barber shop.

1948  Hoberg brothers sell their interest in Seigler Springs to the Olsons.

1940’s-50’s Celebrities at Hoberg’s included Tommy Dorsey and his band, Xavier Cugat and his orchestra, Merv Griffin singing with Fred Martin’s band, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Sal Carson and his orchestra, and actor Leo Carrillo.  Vacationing politicians included the Mayor of San Francisco and California Governor Earl Warren (Donna Hoberg 2007:101).

1950’s Smaller kids pool built (Hoberg-Fox 2015).

1956  New 7,000 sq. ft. auditorium completed that can seat 1,000 (Mauldin n.d.:2317).

1957  Lake County buys the Hoberg Airstrip (Mauldin n.d.:6855).

1960’s Decline of resort begins as San Francisco tourists decide to travel farther and expect more attractions.

1971  Hoberg’s Resort closes down after 95 years of service.

1971-72 State of California leases the resort as a boarding school for the handicapped.

1974  Hoberg’s is sold to the Maharishi International University.