Mine waste excavation beneath the western road encountered historical
artifacts in front of Lots 26, 27 and 28. This was not initially identified as a
well-defined feature because mine waste removal in the area took place
piece-meal over several days and from several different directions. Individual
historic artifacts were encountered, plotted, and recovered during these
various waste removal episodes. Once all mine waste had been removed, we
realized that a defined historic feature had been exposed. The feature
contained glass, ceramics, shell, bone, and metal objects. The feature covered
an area 38 meters NS by 11 meters EW.
The mine waste had been removed and it was anticipated that the feature
would be protected and preserved beneath the clean fill and road
construction. With the understanding that the feature would be protected, no
soil samples were recovered or processed from the feature. A few artifacts
exposed on the surface of the feature were collected and processed.
Site maintained as a public service by Archaeological Research, PO Box 1353, Lucerne, CA 95458.
|History and Prehistory of Lake County
Glass Artifacts (11)
Four hand-blown bottle fragments were found (pre-1917). Two of these
were most likely wine bottles, one was a two-piece-mold beer bottle, and
one most likely a soda. Three honey colored glass bottles were recovered
(1914-1930). One of these was a canning jar, one a
preserve jar (H7-18), and one unidentifiable. One cobalt blue Vick’s Vaporub
bottle was recovered, as was a possible kerosene lampshade.
The preserve jar has the stylized “HA” on the base indicating manufacture by
the Hazel Glass Company sometime between 1920 and 1964 (Toulouse 1971:
EuroAmerican Ceramics (9)
All ceramics pieces represented tableware. Pieces of two cups, one saucer,
and one main course plate were recovered along with several unidentified
pieces. Ceramic items were made of both Stoneware (5) and cream ware (6).
One piece had a Taylor Smith & Taylor “VERONA” maker’s mark indicating
manufacture sometime between 1900 and 1920 (Lehner 1988:461).
Metal artifacts included an enamelware pot (H7-3) and a fork or spoon
handle (H7-4) with “FRAZIL SILVER” stamped on the back. Although the
“Frazil Silver” mark could not be found, the pattern is known as “Tipped”
and was first sold by Rogers Bros. in 1847 (Rainwater et.al. 1968:442).
Feature 7 Interpretation
The Feature 7 area was not as clearly defined as the previous features. It did
not include a darker stained soil and artifacts were scattered and much
sparser. It is likely that Feature 7 represents a surface deposit of discards
often called a sheet trash deposit. Maker’s marks and other period
indicators suggest that Feature 7 materials were discarded between 1880